Thursday, January 29, 2009

Blog Relaunch & Welcome

To commemorate the new year I have decided to relaunch this blog with a new and broader focus. That being Papua New Guinea as a travel destination.

A bit of background about myself - my father is a Papua New Guinean of mixed ancestry. His mother is part New Ireland Province national, part European New Zealander. His father is believed to be a Philipino American. There is an interesting story in itself which I will dedicate a post (or several) to in time. My mother is an English/Danish/Welsh Australian. I was born in Australia but from the age of 18 months to 11 years I lived in and about Rabaul, East New Britain Province in Papua New Guinea. The majority of that period was spent living on a coconut & cocoa plantation, and being home-schooled by my mother. During my teens, and for the purposes of my secondary education, my parents remained in Rabaul while I lived with relations in Brisbane, Australia. Generally I returned to home to Rabaul and my parents, at least once, if not twice a year. After high school I did a BSc(Hons) degree in Marine Biology & Aquaculture, lived and worked in Townsville, Melbourne, and Tasmania, and pursued graduate studies in the field of Aquaculture research. More recently I have felt my roots calling so to speak and have moved closer to home, to Cairns, Australia. In recent years I have explored my interests in photography, scuba diving, travel and the web/internet.

I feel strongly that Papua New Guinea is a beautiful place to visit and experience those unique personal 'adventures' that with globalisation are rapidly becoming more and more scarce. The country however, does not have the most desirable of reputations in order to attract travellers and I believe this is something that can be rectified, simply by educating people about the country, and help put into context the negative news articles I see more often than not.

So this is my 'bit' to promote New Guinea and share with travellers the place I love & call home.
I want it to be known that I will endeavour to promote New Guinea as a destination rather than individual New Guinea tour and travel operators. I do believe that if we work together, everyone can benefit. If at anytime a post appears to be biased in any way, please contact me directly and I will rectify the situation where possible.

No comments: